Governor, in Beloit, signs fire-safe cigarette measure

Gov. Jim Doyle dampened the chances of Cigarettes starting fires in Wisconsin when he signed a bill into law Tuesday requiring tobacco companies to only sell fire-safe smokes in the state.

Gov. Jim Doyle dampened the chances of Cigarettes starting fires in Wisconsin when he signed a bill into law Tuesday requiring tobacco companies to only sell fire-safe smokes in the state. City of Beloit employees and local politicians surrounded Doyle in the Beloit Fire Department headquarters as he made what he described as a “very basic safety measure” law. “It takes a lot of work to get a bill to my desk and ready to be signed,” Doyle said. Indeed, Sen. Judy Robson, D-Beloit, worked for three legislative sessions to get Assembly Bill 717 passed. More than 20 fire and safety organizations eventually supported the bill, and the final work was spent collaborating with tobacco companies. Robson communicated her enthusiasm about the bill finally reaching the governor's hands. “A lot of fire-related deaths are because of Cigarettes,” she said. “Often in cases of home fires non-smokers get caught in the blaze.” The self-extinguishing Cigarettes may be the only Cigarettes sold in Wisconsin beginning in October 2009. Robson noted the law will prevent injury, protect property, protect firefighters and save lives. Cigarette-related fires tend to happen at a higher rate in university towns, Robson said, recalling how, after a public hearing last winter, a University of Wisconsin-Madison student died in a house fire started by a cigarette. “Every time I hear about a fire like that it causes me to catch my breath,” she said. Robson commended the bill's Assembly sponsor, Rep. J.A. “Doc” Hines, R-Oxford, and recognized the support she received from Beloit Fire Chief Brad Liggett. The senator invited Liggett to the hearings about the bill, and he provided favorable testimony. Fires sparked by Cigarettes is common, he said, explaining many happen once people fall asleep with a lit cigarette near highly inflammable objects, such as sofas, bedding, clothing and petroleum-based cushions that cause rapid acceleration in burning. Such fires typically happen in homes. Beloit has experienced fatalities due to cigarette-related fires but not in recent history, Liggett said. In 2007 there were four smoking-related fires that caused no injuries but produces $56,000 in damages. The law, Liggett said, will greatly Reduce the chance of fires. “It's a good idea to have a cigarette go out if you're not puffing on it,” he said. Fire-safe Cigarettes are double wrapped in paper and have speed bumps that stop the flame when the smoker doesn't puff on it, Robson explained. New York and California were the first states to adopt such a bill, and More than a dozen have followed suit. The law went into effect in Illinois on Jan. 1, and next year it will be in effect in Minnesota and Iowa.

CIGARETTE NEWS

We are happy to welcome you to Tobacco Daily News. We invite people from all over the world to read more tobacco related topics about online cigarettes sales and especially all fresh information related to our site.
See all cigarettes news...

Payment

Temporary only Visa cards are accepted as payment at our internet store.
Smoke4Sale.Com

Warning

To buy at smoke4sale.com you must be 21 years of age or older
Smoke4Sale.Com